Press one of the expand buttons to see the full text of an article. Later press collapse to revert to the original form. The buttons below expand or collapse all articles.
Not Just One Pedophile
February 7, 2012 permalink
The parade of foster parent/pedophiles continues in Quinte with the arrest of Ronald Slatter of Bloomfield. Six months ago Joe and Janet Turner Holm, also of Bloomfield, were convicted of sexual offenses against their foster children. The last time CAS executive director Len Kennedy excused his agency with: "Let us not diminish, due to the actions of one couple, the credit that is due to so many wonderful families who do so much to keep our children safe, nurtured and protected." Well, it was not just the actions of one couple. What will Kennedy say now?
Child sex assault charge in County
Second case in Bloomfield in past year
A 63-year-old Bloomfield foster parent has been charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and sexual exploitation.
Prince Edward OPP report Ronald Slatter was charged after an investigation was launched into “a historical sexual assault” involving a foster parent and a teenage girl in early 2009.
The charges come months after the case of Joe and Janet Turner Holm.
The Bloomfield couple entered guilty pleas to a litany of charges last fall ranging from possession of child pornography, sexual assault and invitation to sexual touching earlier this fall. The pair were sentenced in November, with Janet getting three years in prison and her husband receiving a four-year sentence.
Slatter is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 29.
Source: Belleville Intelligencer
A much longer follow-up article gives no more information about the crime. But it is filled with discussions of procedure. Just like Len Kennedy's statement in last year's Holm case, there is not a word about the victims. This time Prince Edward CAS executive director Bill Sweet, makes similar statements that stricter rules are all that is needed.
County CAS instrumental in latest abuse charge
PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY - Prince Edward County's child protection services, stung by a 2011 conviction against child sex abusers from Bloomfield, were instrumental in the laying of similar criminal charges this week.
Recent sexual assault charges against a Bloomfield foster parent are indirectly linked to similar charges and the conviction of a couple late last year, said the head of the local CAS in Prince Edward.
Bill Sweet, executive director of the Prince Edward Children’s Aid Society, said charges of sexual assault, sexual interference and sexual exploitation against Ronald Slatter announced earlier this week stemmed from an investigation the agency launched following the conviction of Joe and Janet Turner Holm in November. The Bloomfield couple, who were foster parents for the agency, entered guilty pleas to a number of charges and were sentenced to a combined total of seven years in prison.
That case, Sweet said, prompted Prince Edward CAS to examine its internal policies and resulted in a former foster child reporting information regarding this week's charged individual, a 63-year-old man from Boomfield.
“In the course of the review that we conducted, we had another person who came forward and issued a complaint. That resulted in us investigating the matter with the police and that’s what led to the charges against Mr. Slatter,” Sweet said.
As an outcome of the Holm incident, Sweet said, the agency worked with the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to examine policies and procedures. Part of that process included interviewing all youth-in-care and one girl said there had been an incident in 2009 that she had not reported to case workers or police.
Having foster parents accused and convicted of such crimes is “devastating,” said Sweet, and the CAS is changing its approach to approving foster parents in light of the incidents. While previous regulations were strict, it is hoped adding more stringent qualifications and testing will lessen the chances of similar incidents in the future, Sweet said.
“There’s a standard screening process that takes place across the province,” he said. “We’re held to the same standards as any other agency and it’s quite an extensive process and we’re looking at enhancing it, given our experience.”
The agency’s first priority, he said, is screening for any risks at the point where people apply to become foster parents. The agency has met with a psychologist for advice and is also examining ways to enhance communication with youth-in-care so any concerns or complaints can be brought forward quickly.
“A number of things have changed,” Sweet said. “We have worked with the (Ministry of Children and Youth Services) on all of our policies and procedures. Change has occurred and some is still in the works because, clearly, we’re all very much moved by what happened last fall and the recent development.”
There are currently about 35 foster homes in Prince Edward County. When allegations of abuse of any child in those homes arise, Sweet said, it takes a toll on the agency and its employees.
“It has a very profound impact. Ours is the duty to protect kids and when kids suffer when they are in care it has a devastating impact on everybody. The response has been to just work with everyone we can to ensure such things don’t happen again,” he said.
Slatter is scheduled to appear in Picton court on Feb. 29.
Source: Belleville Intelligencer