Ms Patricia Ellis,
31 Inadale Court,
Ontario N2M 2Z7
August 23rd, 2005.
Dear Ms Ellis,
Re: Application for Membership in Family and Children's Services of Waterloo Region.
I am responding to your letter of July 24th, 2005, sent to Superintendent Kevin Chalk, now Past-President of the Board of Directors. I am the current President and am responding on Kevin's behalf.
In your letter you ask for clarification as to the reasons why your request for membership in Family and Children's Services of Waterloo Region was declined. The following is the explanation.
The By Laws of the agency have established the following criteria for membership which all persons applying for membership are required to meet:
- who is an individual eighteen (18) years of age or over and resides or carries on business in the area served by the Society, or that is a corporation and has its head office in or carries on business in the area served by the Society;
- who notifies the Society in writing of a desire to become a member;
- who pays the annual membership dues; and
- who is of good character; and
- who is making the application in good faith and who supports the goals of the Society.
shall be a regular member of the Society for the membership year of which the dues are paid".
The Nominating Committee has concluded that you do not meet criteria 4 and 5 for the following reasons:
- In January 2005, your husband, Aneurin Ellis, was found by the Superior Court to have libelled two of our staff members, Duane Boles and Peter Ringrose, by publishing false statements damaging to their reputation. Justice Reilley's order of January 27th, 2005 issued a permanent injunction against Aneurin Ellis from publishing, circulating, distributing, communicating or otherwise transmitting libellous of slanderous words or allegations against the plaintiffs or the children's Aid Society of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo or any of its staff members. Judge Reilley also ordered Aneurin Ellis to pay costs to the plaintiffs in the amount of $7,000, payable forthwith.
- Subsequently, despite the Order of the Superior court, the agency received a copy of a letter bearing your husband's name and addressed to the Honourable Paul Martin, Prime Minister of Canada, dated June 8th, 2005, entitled "Re: Children's Gestapo (FSCWR) of New Berlin (Kitchener)", making untrue statements about the working relationship between Waterloo Regional Police Services and Family and Children's Services of Waterloo Region, directly associating Superintendent Kevin Chalk and Peter Ringrose with these untrue statements.
- On 26th and 27th July, 2005 your husband was present at the Ontario Court - Family Division in Kitchener and Cambridge and was distributing to members of the public information including the same letter addressed to Prime Minister Martin mentioned above.
It is the view of the Nominating Committee that, as a member, you would not be able to support the goals of the agency since that would be in conflict with the deliberate actions of your husband against Family and Children's Services.
Peter G Ringrose, Executive Director
200 Ardelt Ave. Kitchener Ontario N2C 2L9
168 Hespeler Road, Cambridge Ontario N1R 6V7