Press one of the expand buttons to see the full text of an article. Later press collapse to revert to the original form. The buttons below expand or collapse all articles.



Winnipeg Foster Death

April 18, 2014 permalink

Matias De Antonio died in Winnipeg foster care on March 27, just 31 days after his birth. The family has received few answers on the reasons for apprehension or cause of death. The boy's father was refused a visa to enter Canada for the funeral.



Baby dies while under care of CFS

Carlos Burgos
Carlos Burgos: 'should not have happened to us'
Matias De Antonio
Matias De Antonio was seized from his mother and died in CFS care in March.

Minutes after a baby's funeral took place, a family from Colombia demanded answers from Child and Family Services about why the infant died in its care -- and why the baby was seized in the first place.

Matias De Antonio, who was born on Feb. 24, died March 27, about a month after being placed in the custody of CFS.

Now Matias's family in Winnipeg, including his 20-year-old mother, grandmother, aunts and uncles, want to know what happened to the child.

"These people have to stop doing things like this," De Antonio's uncle, Carlos Burgos, said Wednesday in a Fort Richmond apartment shortly after the baby's funeral at the St. Vital Cemetery.

"I want people who don't know how to do their job to pay for this. This should not happen to another family."

Burgos said CFS hasn't told the family much, but it does know the baby died from a lack of oxygen to the brain.

Burgos said Maria Herrera, his sister and Matias's mother -- who was allowed to see her baby three times a week for two hours -- had just seen him when a CFS worker put him in a car seat and drove him 38 minutes away to a foster home. When the worker went to take Matias out of the car, the baby was blue.

Burgos said he doesn't understand why, with so many family members of his sister living in Winnipeg, CFS made the decision to take the baby away in the first place. He said the baby's father was refused a visa to allow him to come to the funeral from Colombia.

"My mother is here. (My sister's sister) has twins who are five -- she could have looked after them," he said.

"We all came here in 2008. We love Canada. It's an amazing country.

"This should not have happened to us."

In a statement, a representative of the province's Family Services Department said they are restricted from speaking about individual cases because of provisions in the Child and Family Services Act.

The representative said the Manitoba Children's Advocate reviews deaths of children in care while the province's chief medical examiner has the power to call an inquest if it is felt one is needed.

Ainsley Krone, a spokeswoman for the Office of the Children's Advocate, said any information their office finds or any recommendations made will not be made public.

Krone said the office will send any reports to the family services minister, the chief medical examiner and the province's ombudsman.

"We would look at the services delivered and whether they met the needs of the family and to see if there are any gaps," she said.

"The system should always be looking at improving itself."

Family Services Minister Kerri Irvin-Ross said Wednesday she also was unable to discuss specifics of the case under CFS rules.

Irvin-Ross said the children's advocate will investigate the death and report back to government and various CFS agencies.

Once the government knows more information, "We will be able to provide some insight to the family about their horrible loss," she said.

The minister said she learned of the infant's death last week. She expressed her condolences to the family. "I want to tell Manitobans that we're going to learn from this tragedy and that it is important that when we get the recommendations from the children's advocate that we put them in place and that we continue to build a better child-welfare system that supports families and protects children."

Progressive Conservative Family Services critic Ian Wishart said the family deserves to get answers from the government on what happened.

"Right now they're being left in limbo," Wishart said Wednesday after raising the incident in the legislature.

"They still don't know any details on cause of death. They frankly still don't know why the child was taken from them in the first place," he said.

Wishart said the infant had only been in care of CFS for three weeks. He said the family had been "making every effort" to satisfy child-welfare authorities they were fit to take back the child when they learned of his death.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Addendum: Two months later the family has no answers, not even after a meeting with the family services minister. Child protectors keep him in the dark, just like everyone else. A rally opposing CFS took place in Winnipeg on May 27.



Winnipeg parents of baby who died in CFS care still without answers

Two months after a baby died in foster care the family is still no closer to finding out why.

Child and Family Services seized Matias de Antonio two days after he was born in February.

"They destroyed my life and my husband's life and all my family and I want justice," said Maria Burgos, Matias' mother.

The baby died from a lack of oxygen to the brain on March 27.

CFS you're fired
A group called "CFS you're fired/Winnipeg" protest on the front lawn of the law courts in downtown Winnipeg Tuesday.

The mother got to see her son for one hour that day at a CFS office.

When she left, the boy was put in a car seat, covered in a blanket and then driven for 38 minutes on its was to a foster home.

By the time they arrived, the child was blue and later died.

The baby's mother and uncle, Carlos Burgos, met with the family services minister Tuesday but got no new answers.

"We don't even know why the baby was apprehended in the first place, so it's super frustrating," said Burgos.

A medical report into the baby's death stated the death was not intentional, but doesn't offer any other insight into what happened.

According to the report the infant was "thriving and feeding well prior to the incident."

"The driver reported hearing the infant crying once or twice during the trip," the report states.

The vehicle stopped at a Costco store, where the boy was found "blue, not breathing and unresponsive," though he had "no external signs of trauma."

The boy's death comes only months after the Phoenix Sinclair inquiry concluded.

People upset with CFS gathered to show support for Matias outside the Law Courts in downtown Winnipeg Tuesday.

The protestors want CFS reformed, as does the family of Matias.

Source: CBC