Press one of the expand buttons to see the full text of an article. Later press collapse to revert to the original form. The buttons below expand or collapse all articles.



Attack on Waterloo Police

November 13, 2011 permalink

The Waterloo Regional Police have been attacked by driving a vehicle into their Cambridge headquarters.

Attacks of this sort rarely originate in criminal matters. Most often, the aggrieved party has had his family attacked by the police/social services/judicial system. We will be awaiting further news on the identity of the attacker. Until then, review the case of the late Jim Malone [1] [2] [3].



Car drives through doors of Cambridge police headquarters

Attack on Waterloo Regional Police

Attack on Waterloo Regional Police

Attack on Waterloo Regional Police

Attack on Waterloo Regional Police

Philip Walker/Record...

Police in Cambridge didn’t have to go far to investigate what they’re calling a targeted attack after a car drove through the front doors at their headquarters on Maple Grove Road early Sunday morning.

Around 5:25 a.m., the car drove through double doors into the lobby of Waterloo Regional Police headquarters.

“This is a deliberate act,” said Waterloo Regional Police Chief Matthew Torigian. “This is a police facility and (it was) targeted directly by the individual.

“Thankfully none of our members were injured.”

The four-door station-wagon-style vehicle rammed through two sets of doors, knocking metal beams aside. It drove into the lobby, coming to a stop between a wall and a vending machine beside the finger-print waiting area. The vehicle travelled about 15 metres inside the building.

Torigian said this was a very traumatic incident for the members of the service working at the time. The records branch is located beside where the car stopped, and it, like most of the first floor of the building, is entirely staffed by civilians.

Officers responded to the scene from within the building. They arrested a male suspect, who remains in custody. The investigation is ongoing.

Police couldn’t discuss what motivated the attack or whether the man had a plan once he was inside the building.

Police tape surrounded the sidewalk leading up to the door and workers were on scene to fix the broken door. Debris and bent door frames had to be removed before the car was backed out the way it came, around 10:15 a.m.

Part of the door frame was dislodged from the ceiling and glass trailed through the headquarters’ lobby. Tire marks streaked the floor, tracing the vehicle’s curved path through the rounded lobby.

“The damage has been extensive, clearly, and we have to do an assessment of that as well,” Torigian said.

The total cost of the damage remains to be seen.

The shattered glass was not bullet proof, according to police. But Torigian pointed out that the building was constructed prior to the terrorist events of the past decade that have necessitated greater security at buildings like police stations or the new court house being built downtown.

He said the service will “look … to determine what architectural designs we need to put in place.”

“One of the important features of any police building is the need to balance public access and the need to service our community (with security concerns),” said Torigian.

Source: The Record

A later report said the car was a grey Dodge Magnum driven by thirty-seven-year-old Bryan Welfred of Tavistock. The car was not stolen. The Waterloo Regional Police posted this video of the damage, YouTube and local copy (mp4).