Press one of the expand buttons to see the full text of an article. Later press collapse to revert to the original form. The buttons below expand or collapse all articles.



Death in the Family

March 4, 2011 permalink

Her husband is dead and social worker Natasha (or Nataliya) Syrotyuk is hospitalized in a Hamilton Ontario incident that leaves a lot more questions than answers.



Police probe death on Mountain

21 Ben Lomond Place, Hamilton Ontario
Death Members of the Hamilton Police forensics unit enter an apartment building at 21 Ben Lomond Place on the east Mountain Saturday night.
Cathie Coward/The Hamilton Spectator

Homicide detectives are investigating a violent incident on the Mountain that left one person dead and another in serious condition in hospital.

Police found a dead person Saturday about 4:30 p.m. in one of the units inside a building on Ben Lomond Place near Concession Street, Staff Sergeant Steve Hrab said.

“We're investigating a death in one of the apartments. There is an individual in one of the apartments that is deceased and there is another individual that's been taken to a hospital in serious condition,” Hrab said outside the apartment building Saturday night.

He would not disclose further details but said “homicide is involved in a suspicious death.”

Initial reports indicated there was a patient without vital signs and another person with uncontrolled bleeding at the address.

Hrab would not say where in the building the body and injured person were found or the circumstances in which the two were found.

But Chris Welsh, who is a good friend of the woman transported to hospital, said police found his friend, whom he identified as Natasha (or Nataliya) Syrotyuk, with serious injuries in the apartment with her husband, who had died.

A Hamilton Health Sciences public relations officer confirmed there was a patient with that name in serious condition at the Hamilton General Hospital Sunday night.

Syrotyuk, who is a 38-year-old social worker originally from Ukraine, was planning to leave her husband and move into a new home in Hamilton with her 77-year-old mother and seven-year-old daughter Sunday, Welsh said.

Her husband, who was in his mid-50s, knew she was leaving, Welsh said. “She had asked him numerous times repeatedly to vacate,” he said. “He wouldn't go.”

Syrotyuk's mother and daughter had left the apartment for a couple of hours Saturday and returned to find they couldn't get inside the apartment, Welsh said, adding police were notified at that point. These details have not been confirmed by investigators, who did not return phone calls Sunday.

Welsh became worried about his friend when he couldn't reach her Saturday. He then went to the police station where a detective told him his friend was alive but her husband had died.

Source: Hamilton Spectator