Press one of the expand buttons to see the full text of an article. Later press collapse to revert to the original form. The buttons below expand or collapse all articles.



Woman Killed by Foster Graduate

January 30, 2009 permalink

Warren David Rattray was separated from his parents at an early age and was raised in more than 24 foster homes where he was abused sexually, emotionally and physically. His past acts as an adult include threatening a woman with a butcher knife, inviting a ten-year-old boy to engage in sex, sexually assaulting a girl, and stealing a car. Last Saturday he killed a 37-year-old Kerrianne Parks in Sudbury Ontario.



Parole records reveal disturbing past of man accused in Sudbury slaying

History of violence and sexual assaults

Posted By RACHEL PUNCH, SUN MEDIA, Posted January 29, 2009

Warren David Rattray had only been in Sudbury one day before Kerrianne Parks -- the woman he is accused of murdering -- was found dead.

Rattray, who was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant after failing to check in with Saskatoon police in August, also slipped through the fingers of police by using a fake name in southern Ontario before he turned up here.

Greater Sudbury Police Insp. Bob Keetch said Rattray, who has a long, violent criminal past, arrived in Sudbury on Friday from southern Ontario. Police have not determined the nature of the relationship between Parks and Rattray, Keetch said.

"We know how they met," Keetch said, adding it was on Friday. He would not say how or where they met.

Her funeral was held Thursday.

Parks' body was found at her small McLeod Street home on Saturday at about 1:20 p. m. by her father.

Rattray, 44, who first told police his name was Jason Charters, was arrested Sunday and charged with second-degree murder in the death of the 37-year-old woman. The man's fingerprints were sent to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ottawa on the weekend, confirming Rattray's identity.

National Parole Board records obtained by The Sudbury Star on Tuesday reveal disturbing details about Rattray's criminal past.

Rattray was released from the Regional Psychiatric Centre in Saskatoon in June of 2007 after serving about eight and a half years in jail. He served his full term for a series of offences -- committed between March 1998 and March 2001 -- because corrections officials found he was at a high risk to reoffend.

A parole decision from Oct. 7, 2004, denying Rattray day parole, states his sentence began for convictions of assault, robbery and forcible confinement.

The charges stem from an incident in 1998 where a woman befriended Rattray and offered him accommodation at her home.

"You confronted her with a butcher knife while she slept, demanded money and the keys to her car, and threatened to kill her," states the parole decision. "At the time of arrest for this offence, you waived in charges of sexual assault and indecent act from 1997, surrounding the violation of two elderly nuns."

When Rattray was unlawfully at large in December 1999, he befriended a 10-year-old boy while camping, the documents state. Rattray was convicted of invitation to sexual touching.

After being released again on statutory release, the decision states, Rattray violated a young girl in November 2000 and was charged with sexual assault.

"In January 2001 you befriended a woman and later stabbed her in her bed after she had provided you a place to stay," the document states.

"And finally, in March of 2001 you became involved with a woman whose car you stole after a physical altercation," the decision reads.

In that case, Rattray was charged with theft, assault and driving while disqualified.

The documents also reveal information about Rattray's childhood.

He was separated from his parents at an early age and was raised in more than 24 foster homes where he was abused sexually, emotionally and physically.

By his mid-teens, Rattray was living on his own, the decision states. He began drinking at the age of 15 and has a history of alcohol-related offending.

The parole board detain Rattray until the last day of his sentence.

The last decision confirming his detention was delivered on Feb. 1, 2007.

"In the absence of significant success at treatment and/or programming and no assessments of reduced risk, the board concludes that you are likely to commit an offence causing serious harm to another person before the expiration of your sentence," the decision states.

"As no halfway house could reasonably be expected to manage your risk and protect the community, the detention order is therefore confirmed."

When Rattray completed his sentence in 2007, Saskatoon police requested a recognizance issued when police are concerned a person may reoffend, said Alyson Edwards, Saskatoon City Police's public affairs manager.

"Basically what that is is a set of conditions that the person has to abide by if they are going to live in that community," Edwards said.

He breached the conditions and went back to jail for a year, Edwards said. He was released again on June 5, 2008 and another recognizance was requested. Part of the order was that Rattray check in with Saskatoon police.

"He didn't check in with us on Aug. 20, so we issued a Canada-wide warrant on Aug. 21," Edwards said.

When a warrant is issued, police services across the country receive photos and information about the wanted person. Saskatoon police had no reason to believe Edwards was headed for Ontario.

"In fact the information we had was that he was travelling west. We had somebody who phoned and said he thought he had given him a ride hitchhiking," Edwards said.

Source: Timmins Daily Press