Real Reform in Georgia
February 19, 2008
Georgia state senator Nancy Schaefer has introduced legislation to reform child protection in
her state. Some provisions are:
- Requires DHR to place children with relatives where possible
- Discovery in termination proceedings. We presume this is the legal
meaning of discovery, requiring DHR to disclose the entire case to the
parents before terminating their rights to their children.
- Requires DHR to respond to emergencies within 72 hours.
- Requires a court order to enter a home.
- Removes immunity for social workers who administer medicine to a child
over objection of the parents.
- Outlaws double jeopardy in termination actions.
- Court hearings will be conducted in public.
You can read the February 18, 2008 press
release (pdf) or the entire legal text.